Anyone that knows me, knows that I am a lover of the heat. Yes growing up in Australia you probably wouldn’t expect anything different but I really really love the heat. There is something about that hot blanket of humidity that smoothers you when you’re in a tropical place – you just cannot beat it. So you can only imagine my surprise when I heard myself say “I just spent 5 minutes in the Bow River in April and I loved it” Those of you that are not familiar with the Bow, it is a balmy average of 3-5 degrees Celsius in April.
I was introduced to the Wimhoff Method* a few years ago, but was never successful with sticking with it and developing a habit. But for reasons unbeknown to me when I started again six months ago, I am happy to say that it is now habitual and truth be told if I miss a day, I fell off. Don’t get me wrong it was for sure a struggle to start, it felt like my skin was on fire and the pain was intense. But slowly I built my way up to 5mins and now I could even stay longer.
So, what is it about cold therapy treatment that has everyone a buzz? Here is what the master Wimhoff says:
- Buildup of brown adipose tissue and resultant fat loss
- Reduced inflammation that facilitates a fortified immune system
- Balanced hormone levels
- Improved sleep quality
- The production of endorphins— the feel-good chemicals in the brain that naturally elevate your mood.
And here is what I have noticed for myself:
- Increased mental toughness. The power of thought is so fascinating. At first, I perceived the sensation as pain, but I rewrote that thought a simply thought of it as a sensation neither good nor bad
- Improved sleep
- Mood elevation – just feel so alive when you get out
Why not start now, it’s social distancing friendly heck its even iso friendly.
Come on you can do it, challenge yourself you wont regret it.